This meal is brought to you in association with Highbrow Paleo and in the interest of creating healthy meals that are both simple and affordable.
The Rules were to use only the allotted ingredients, use minimal cooking utensils and keep track of the cost.
These ingredients made one plate of food.
Total cost of ingredients was about £1.30
- 2 eggs
- 1 handful of chopped kale
- 1 medium onion
- 4 button mushrooms
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of beef dripping
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Sharp vegetable knife
- Wooden spoon
- Vegetable peeler
- Frying pan
Potatoes and kale:
- Peel and chop up the potatoes into small pieces and place in the saucepan.
- Cover the potatoes with water and boil on a medium heat for 15 minutes.
- After 10 minutes add the chopped kale to the potatoes for the last 5 minutes of boiling.
- Drain off the water, add the butter and salt and mash together with the spoon.
Onions and mushrooms:
- Heat the frying pan on a medium heat with the beef dripping.
- Peel and finely slice the onion and add to the frying pan.
- Wash and chop the mushrooms into quarters and add to the frying pan.
- Add pepper to the pan and fry for about 15 minutes stirring with the spoon.
- Place the onion and mushroom on a plate to serve and turn up the heat under the pan.
- Crack the two eggs into the pan and fry until cooked through on one side.
Place the mash potato and eggs on the plate with the onion and mushroom to serve.